Greetings fellow screen slaves!
It’s about that time of year where us scribblers consult the mental archives – getting ourselves all tangled up in figurative cobwebs, all in an attempt to put together some kind of listy thing, before putting it out there to be slated by the GGP (Great Global Public). Because it is only one person’s ‘umble opinion after all.
A more detailed review of the year, also penned by me, can be found here.
This is based on only those films released in the UK between 1st January and 31st December 2011 and is in a very rough and already deeply apologetic order. Excuses now over, my films of the year are:
20) Black Swan (dir. Darren Aronofsky)
19) NEDS (dir. Peter Mullan)
18) Cave of Forgotten Dreams (dir. Werner Herzog)
17) Las Acacias (dir. Pablo Giorgelli)
16) Bridesmaids (dir. Paul Feig)
15) The Tree of Life (dir. Terrence Malick)
14) Love Like Poison (dir. Katell Quillévéré)
13) Meek’s Cutoff (dir. Kelly Reichardt)
12) Pina (dir. Wim Wenders)
11) Jane Eyre (dir. Cary Fukunaga)
10) We Need to Talk About Kevin (dir. Lynne Ramsay)
9) 13 Assassins (dir. Takashi Miike)
8) Weekend (dir. Andrew Haigh)
7) Margaret (dir. Kenneth Lonergan)
6) Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy (dir. Tomas Alfredson)
5) Animal Kingdom (dir. David Michôd)
4) Archipelago (dir. Joanna Hogg)
3) A Separation (dir. Asghar Farhadi)
2) The Artist (dir. Michel Hazanavicius)
1) Mysteries of Lisbon (dir. Raoul Ruiz)